Monday, December 19, 2011

Plane or train from Paris to Biarritz/Bayonne and onward to SJPP?


PLANE
easyjet.com CDG->BIQ (Biarritz) ->SJPP via bus from Biarritz to Bayonne, then train from Bayonne to SJPP; taxi
--flying, you get there in 1.5 hours

TRAIN
TVG Paris (Montpernasse)->Bayonne->SJPP
--longer and you lose a day of walking, but I might be able to see more scenery along the way
--more time to prepare mentally for the Camino

This was a huge dilemma. I wanted to take the scenic route, but time is always so precious. When it came down to it, I chose the transportation method that was most cost-effective - the day train. Unfortunately, because I booked it less than 7 days in advance of my trip, I had to buy some expensive seats (so not worth it unless you're last minute and the trains are otherwise full...in my case, the TVG site gave a cheap internet fare option for a train that was already sold out in 2nd class seats (ie they show that you can book the ticket and lead you through the process, but then jilt you). So if you get a 'payment error' or your CC isn't processing, that is probably the reason. I only found out about those seats being sold out by calling Raileurope and asking why I couldn't book these). The train was still a few euros cheaper than the cost of shuttle (b/c public transpo doesn't run at 4am) + early plane (28(shuttle) + 99(flight) + 13 (bag fee). :( I hope I made the right choice. I am really helping the French economy right now.

Note to self: if you ever want to travel on the cheap, don't travel around the holidays in Europe. People close up shop and the transportation costs skyrocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment