Monday, December 19, 2011

Winter Packing (Gear) List

I'm trying to take whatever gear I already have that I wouldn't mind losing or burning. I did have to buy some new stuff though, sadly. I might edit this list as time goes on.

-backpack (Flash 65 from REI) - 2lb 14oz
-pack cover
-documents (credencial del peregrino, passport, cards/$, tix/confirmation #s)
-my trusty old hiking boots with ankle support
-flip flops (for showers)
-leg gaiters
-2 trekking poles
-wind-blocking gloves
-4 pairs Smartwool socks
-3 pairs sock liners
-1 pair polartec pants as midweight base layer
-1 pair rain/snow pants
-1 pair convertible pants
-1 quick dry turtleneck
-1 midweight wool base layer top & bottom 
-1 fleece tunic
-1 really old holey wool sweater
-1 jacket - I think it's the ski type, but who knows
-silk mummy liner 4.7 oz
-2 emergency blankets (is this being excessive?)
-2 big garbage bags
-travel towel
-sunglasses & glasses, 1 lightweight hard case
-bike light (thought of headlamp, but the bike light is way lighter, smaller, and does the flash blinking)
-small bar soap for all cleaning needs including clothes, hair, skin
-toiletries: sunscreen, Cetaphil lotion, 20spf lip balm, fem products
-roll paper towel w/ cardboard roll removed
-Brierley Camino guide
-January Magnificat + part of Dec
-rosary beads
-Camelbak bladder
-Katadyn MyBottle Water Purifier (in case i need to drink the rain :))
-2 pairs quick dry underwear (like ExOfficio)
-first aid stuff (moleskin, alcohol wipes)
-Swiss army knife - buy in Europe before starting trail
-lightweight journal & pen

Winter-Specific (for possibilities of cold, snowy conditions, few people to possibly help)
-compass & map (in case markers or paths are buried in snow)
-thermal bivy
-wool hat
-Turtle tube (scarf, hood scarf, ear covers all in one!)
-mobile phone (prob a must if you're doing the winter Camino so you can call 112 (emergency #) if needed
- -20F sleeping bag 3lb 7oz

TBD
-sleeping pad
-Yaxtrax due to an awesome person's rec! It should help quicken the pace when walking on ice.

Thinking, thinking, what can I remove to reduce weight?

Before leaving, I'll spray my jacket, pants, and backpack with Kiwi Camp Dry to waterproof them.

2 comments:

  1. In my experience the best thing to have when doing winter hiking is dry stuff. Make sure you pack your gear so that it stays dry. You will get sweaty and wet and feel okay when you're exercising and hiking, but once you stop you will be really cold from all that sweat. Make sure that you have something dry to change into at the end of each day so you can get warm once you're out of the elements.

    A pack cover is a must. Also, make sure to pack your sleeping bag in a stuff sack lined with a garbage bag. Sometimes I'd even go as far as putting my clothes in their own ziplock or garbage bags.

    I use this checklist every time I go backpacking. It has gear for all seasons on it, may want to review it as you prepare:
    http://www.backpacking.net/cheklist.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh thanks! Brilliant ideas - didn't know about the stuff sack+garbage bag. Heh, I bought the pack cover, but guess I forgot to list it here. :) Def a must. Don't want to be lugging wet stuff around! Will check out the list too!

    ReplyDelete