Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 11 Villafranca de Oca

   <p>30 km today. Finished walking through the La Rioja region a few km after Granon and entered the large autonomous region of Castilla y Leon. Passed through Belorado on the way, which feels like a  nice restful place. On the outskirts is a really peaceful Poor Clares convent where 21 sisters reside. I. Recharged my batteries in the chapel, which is the most restful place to date. Chatted a bit with a nun who answered my doorbell ringing (of course I couldn't see what she looked like) but she sounded very very kind, an interaction I treasure as a respite from the harshness of the camino. Asked me if I needed anything and gave me a stamp. I couldn't think of anything at the time, and didn't really have much to give either, only 20 euros left for my bed and meals,  with no atm in sight for days. Started feeling a bit like a mendicant.
Today is the 1st Friday of the month, so I thought I could find exposition and benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. Absolutely no luck. Sadness. Maybe it being the day of the 3 King Magi has something to do with no exposition?
Pilgrims used to get robbed in the forest around villafranca. Oh, the dangers.
One other person in albergue and hospitalera is super nice. Better than yesterday when I was the only person. It did feel a little creepy being alone with the hospitalero. Light rain. Tomorrow I only have 2 destination choices - Ajes 17 km away or Burgos 38 km away. I think 30 km per day might be my limit. 8 more km is 2-3 more hours of walking. My feet are so tender I can see all my veins and feel the shock of even the smallest gravel piece under my boot sole. Tomorrow is also Saturday, so I'm deciding whether I want to spend Sunday morning mass in Burgos or a small church along the way. I will probably decide as I walk past Ajes. The other peregrino wants to go to burgos, but he's much faster than I am. Hospitalera called him majo. Heh. </p>





No comments:

Post a Comment