Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 12 Burgos

Today started out well with my other companion from the albergue Manuel buying and bringing me hot chocolate. So nice of him! I insisted on coming along with him to get my hot chocolate but he wouldn't hear of it, slamming the door closed quickly so that I couldn't get out of the dormitory in time (I'm slow, my legs only go so fast) and running off to the bar by himself to get himself a coffee and me a drink. Woods were also great in the beginning for walking and I could smell the fresh air. It was so warm that I could see the dew on the grass (usually there is frost in the morning). I met a nice old man on the way who told me he had walked the camino over 10 times, and then we proceeded to talk for probably half an hour about faith, God and the Camino. At 84, he wanted to walk the Camino one more time, but he said that his friends tell him he's crazy. Hah. He told me that the Burgos municipal albergue was very good, so I considered Burgos more seriously. However, I didn´t want to walk one more day during the night. I had already walked 3 nights in the dark. It was no fun. I really didn´t want to walk in the dark anymore after the sun set, which is around 6pm. He gave me kisses on the cheeks as a good bye.

I was thinking of stopping in Ajes because I was a little tired and it was already 2pm, no way I could walk 25km in 4 hours, when I met a Basque bicyclist named John. He stopped to talk with me at the entrance to Ajes, letting me know about the perverted hospitalero and what he had seen the day after because he knew I had been in the albergue there the day before him (and John had seen me in Santo Domingo...apparently I´m known as the korean girl who speaks castellano).  He made sure to immediately report this hospitalero to the association so that there would be no more harassment and that he would be removed. Blah, I was so digusted and full of anger about hearing this, and what had possibly happened to all the unsuspecting, vulnerable lady victims (including myself) in the last few days (since the hospitalero would only be there 15 days then his volunteer time is done at the albergue), that I had to continue walking. I couldn´t stay in Ajes with all my anger bottled in. So I walked 25 more kilometers to Burgos. And boy were those km painful. At times, I was yellling, banging my walking stick from disgust, just angry. Then I became sad there are people in this world who choose to do bad, evil things. Then, I just really wanted to reach the Burgos Cathedral, so that I could rest, the intense anger a more distant memory than the immediate pain of my feet. I got into the albergue at 8:30pm - wouldn´t have been able to find the albergue if not for John standing outside smoking. Yay, mi amigo! I launched myself to give him a huge hug because I was so happy to see him, meaning I had reached my stop for the night. Bed at last.

WARNING FOR LADIES
I was very very angry and a little scared to hear about the hospitalero who was volunteering at the albergue I had spent the night alone. FYI, this is a very rare case. Most hospitaleros are very nice, kind, safe and welcoming. Apparently this hospitalero was not. He was a pervert and peeping Tom. Because the camino had been so good to me thus far with many blessings, I was just nice to everyone and dropped my guard, esp since I assumed a hospitalero would be a person I could trust. Boy was I wrong. So, just make sure to be cautious when you´re travelling alone, and if something doesn´t feel right, make sure you leave the place since it could be your instincts kicking in. Trust your instincts. I didn´t listen to my instincts that time and felt a little creeped out by the hospitalero, and now I regret not just leaving as soon as I felt a little strange and unsafe. I had assumed the hospitalero was just overly friendly. He did however say some creepy things when translated into English, but I thought that perhaps it was just some culturally different expression. Looking back, it probably was just plain creepy no matter what language. Don't ever let others make you feel unsafe.

1 comment:

  1. !! be careful, hun. still praying for your safety as you travel alone. also praying you continue to come across well-intentioned people who will help look out for you.

    ReplyDelete