Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 20 Leon

Pasta of estrellas from yesterday for breakfast. Foggy again. Made it to Mansillas de Las Mulas, but couldn't find any mass for Sunday along the Camino. I was in the church of Santa Maria, resting my feet, when people started piling in. Perhaps there was a mass in the afternoon after all! I asked a random person and he said it was for interring of a religious brother, named Eleador or something like that. No mass, but the casket was rolled in and I heard some sniffles. Stayed for the entire thing and prayed for him.
Decided I needed to get to Leon- perhaps i could catch a mass there. I had wanted to be a purist and walk the entire Camino, but keeping the Lord's day was more important. I got onto a bus to Leon center  for 1.40 eur and was driven to the outskirts of the center. Wept as i saw how fast we passed the camino. I tried to folliw the yellow arrows with my eyes wherever i could. Within 20 minutes, we had covered a distance that would take 6 hours. It was raining and dark. I had no idea where to go except a vague direction. I was crossing a bridge when 2 Italians asked me if i knew where i was going. I had no idea. They were super kind leading me to the convent albergue. It was closed until February 6. The albergue municipal was too far for my taste. Thankfully the Italian knew of 2 good cheap hostels near the cathedral. I went with the cheaper one called San Martin. It looked super cozy, just like a house. I love my room! Yellow walls, bathtub.
Blessed sacrament at San Isador basilica rotates by remote control for exposition and mass. Heh, technology. I was just so happy to see the Blessed Sacrament and to have caught mass, had tears in my eyes. Asked priest father Pascual for blessing after 7:30pm mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment