Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day 27 Villafranca de Bierzos

Yesterday in Ponferrada I saw a fig tree with real figs on them! They weren't juicy, though, having dried out. The basilica in Ponferrada also celebrated Our Lady de Soledad, but they cancelled the procession because of the thick fog. Mass was presided over by a bishop and the choir sang. It was quite nice, but not many people probably because it was a Saturday night and the younger set are busy in the bars or smoking weed. I smell it in a handful of cities along the Camino. Lots of men and some ladies smoke cigarettes like chimneys too.
Wine country here. Lots of walking on asphalt today and rocky packed earth.
Hot shower at Ave Felix. Yay. Saw a mouse, heh. Doesn't really bother me as there are more important things to worry about like staying warm and aching feet bottoms.:) I usually like cold, but after so many days, a toasty fire here is most welcome.
Hopefully OCebreiro tomorrow. All uphill from here and a steep last 6km tomorrow. My backpack is so heavy today and it bothers my back. I don't want to walk, don't want to take the bus, but also don't want to stay here and stay still. If only flying with wings was an option. Santiago is so close yet so far.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear that you got a hot shower. You need to reward yourself every now-and-then.

    Are you using your backpack belt to carry the weight on your hips? From what I remember from my backpacking days, all the weight is supposed to be on the hips. The shoulder straps are just for keeping the pack in the right orientation (i.e. not carrying any weight). Stretching might help too.

    Whatever helps relieve the pain, I hope you find it soon.

    I am still rooting and praying for you. It's probably hard to hear the rooting from there, though :)

    ReplyDelete