Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 13 Hornillos

<p>&lt;p&gt;Did I mention that all I had to eat during my longest day yet yesterday was a small box of tic tacs? No bakeries or markets were open when I passed by. I didn't have time for food at a bar. &lt;/p&gt;<br>
&lt;p&gt;Up to now I've been able to avoid stepping into large piles of poop. However, on my way out of Burgos, I stepped into some fresh fecal matter. I laughed to myself because stepping in this reminded me of the metaphor that some people and events are like poo. You try to avoid these piles of yuckiness, but sometimes you just step right into it. All you can do is wash it off with water, rub the sole against things like wet grass, and just keep walking. Eventually the stink of that incident will go away.&lt;br&gt;<br>
&lt;/p&gt;<br>
I ate breakfast by the river and passerbys kept staring strangely at me. Honestly I now feel more kindred in spirit with the beggars in front of the churches than normal pedestrians in normal clothes who just whiz by or stare without greeting me. At least the beggars say hello to me like I'm a normal person... even if it is just to get more money.<br>
I visited the monastery of Las huelgas. Finding it was a little adventure as well. Wow, I was super impressed by some of the fine mudejar details on the ceilings here and horseshoe arches. Too bad pics were not allowed. Guided tour only and it was in castellano. 1 hr.</p>
<p>Finished walking at 8:20. I thought I'd never walk in the dark again. People kept stopping me trying to chat for a while, and when you add up all these minutes, it becomes an hour or two. I will now add in talk time when calculating how long it will take me to get from point a to b. This is now the 5th day of walking in the dark. Yesterday must have been strenuous because when I walked in the night today, I could feel my knees buckling and giving way as I stumbled and tripped every so often going down a rocky hill to get into hornillos. Perhaps i made 5he wrong choice of not staying in burgos another night (where i would hhave been able to attend pilgrims mass like I originally wanted- what if it had been amazing with some cool event with blessings and other things? Perhaps I could have even met pati again and not go at this alone!)I should have looked into that choice, rather than just deciding to continue for greed of covering more ground and not wanting to waste the days I had gained by walking a lot. What would I do wwith those extra days anyway that would be a part of my inner reflection? It's not like I would become any wiser with a few extra days.  Hill+night=very dangerous combo. Never again. Using your own light solely is never as good as using the sun to light the way. Thankfully I had a nearly full moon to the back of me coming in and out of the clouds dimly lighting the path ahead. When I started the Camino in sjpp there had been barely a sliver of a moon. I'm also reminded of the representations of mary as the moon and jesus as the sun.  Another beautiful saying by st. Gregory the great, not related but, worth mentioning, </p>
<p>Village was quiet with no open businesses, no people on the streets and albergue was locked. I waited for someone to come out of their home to see if anyone in town had the key. One crazy looking lady told me to just keep walking. I did NOT want to walk 12more km. In the dark it would take forever.&#160; I also didnt want to sleep outside. Then I waved down a car. Driver was helpful and soon I climbed into my sleeping bag. Alone and prob the best sleep ive had so far.</p>

No comments:

Post a Comment