Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 9 Najera

Lowdown on Najera: Mass in parroquial Santa Cruz (17th c)at 8pm. Mass here is the latest Ive encountered so far.( Apparently there is also mass at 8am in santa maria real) Priest was super welcoming and gave us a blessing. Pati and I were the 1st pilgrims this year to ring the special pilgrim bell. I was so happy hearing the beautiful sounds! You get to ring the bells 3 times-1 for Jesus, 1 for his mother Mary and 1 for the pilgrims going to Santiago. As you ring the bell everyone that is there for mass sings. He also took time to draw around the sello and gave us a book on all the daily readings for the year. So generous! The locals gave us the impression that the municipal albergue wasn't good, and we saw some sketchy men hanging around the front, so are staying at a hostel across the river. The town itself is hopping at night. Families are outside until 9. Tons of markets as you walk along the Camino into the city- the most I've ever seen in such concentration, but no cheap markets as u get into old town. _----------------------------

Cloudy.  <p>Faith, hope and charity. Mud=lodo or barro. This area I walk through is like Napa. It's a microclimate where I can still see the grapes, almonds and pomegranates on their branches. The economics professor from Madrid pointed out the granadas to me (I was too busy looking at the ground and people ahead of me to notice.) And shared half of the fruit with me. <p>
More than once I've been given a smaller portion of food than others:(, I don't know why... maybe because I'm shorter or look like I don't need as much? However at la Juderia in najera, great portions and the food was amazing! Best I've had yet. Yummy Nata dessert.

<p>logrono: good thing we entered at night. Getting out and into cities with development around is the worst part of the Camino. All the non-nature sucks away my energy and I walk more slowly. Hate hate walking on asphalt. Its like true penance and maybe makes for more effective prayers since sacrifice is involved? My heels and bottoms of feet hurt. I much prefer a soft dirt trail. Wish I could fly like those great big birds flying in the sky.

Several km back yesterday I saw two sprightly looking gals walking not towards navarette. It was strange if they were peregrinas. Think they may have been the two tomas said had arrived by taxi at 9pm, so had turned away. Peregrinos carry their own backpacks and walk unless they're in really bad condition. There have been 2 guys so far who I've seen fall sick during the Camino, prob from pushing themselves too much. They still walked.

Think it is time for baby bird to leave mama bird. Sadly no albergues in azofra nor ciruena are open right now.





No comments:

Post a Comment